Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm With the Band

Sixth grade is an exciting year! Finally the kids get to pick a specialty at school and take an extra class. The choices are things like choir, orchestra, band, art, etc. Rhiannon and Kess both picked band and they both chose the clarinet. Oh, how I stressed over purchasing that blasted clarinet. Hours...I mean HOURS spent pouring over clarinets on ebay. I was a nervous wreck. All the band teachers said, "Don't buy a clarinet on ebay." Being a rule follower made it so hard to take the plunge. But with some help from another band mom, Ayreann, I found two perfect instruments. We bought them from two retired band teachers who were very helpful and did a great job cleaning up the instruments.

The girls were so excited to start band and they've done an EXCELLENT job! It's been so fun to listen to them playing around the house. I love it when they have a song test and they play it over and over again. I love the sounds of one of them upstairs, the other one downstairs, constant repetition and echoing of the same song. Oh, I wish they would play it every day. I never could understand why my parents enjoyed hearing me play the piano, but now I know.

They had a very brief band concert in December. It was at the high school. We got seated in the auditorium and the curtains on stage were closed. As soon as we heard them warming up behind the curtains I got goose bumps. Then the curtains opened and I started to cry. I know, I know, but it was just so exciting. I'm so proud of them. I love that they are doing something that I've never done. I love that it's something they can teach me! I love seeing their independence and love of learning something new. Just one more reason I'm so grateful that I sent them to public school!

Unfortunately during the concert I never could see Rhiannon. So, I got a few shots of Kess, and a picture of their friend Helen. Helen's the only girl trombone player. That makes her "extra" cool.

On a side note: Helen is the sister of Colin's friend Virginia. We sat by Virginia and her family during the concert. Colin and Virginia giggled and played. They were so cute!

No comments: