Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Bring it ON!


It happens. Every month, it happens. Hormone levels drop and I have a very bad day. In the past these days have manifested themselves in a variety of ways. Sometimes, I become paranoid and believe that everyone hates me. Other times I've been known to cry, a lot, and feel far too overwhelmed to ever get anything accomplished. There's been months of ravenous hunger, eating brownies and ice cream and any combination of carbs I can find. THIS month however, I decided would be different. Even though there is a plethora of things to freak out and cry about, I decided I was going to hold it together no matter WHAT! Well, don't ever declare war on Mother Nature.....

I awoke this morning, and knew with the dull ache in my head that today was not going to be a very good day. I decided to shut the world OUT. I closed my door, crawled into bed, put a pillow over my head, and pulled my covers around me. I was going to crawl into my hole and emerge tomorrow a much happier being. Of course this lasted for about thirty minutes until a concerned phone call reminded me that I could not spend the day, locked in my room.

So, I decided to fight this thing head ON! First, I thought I would color my gray hairs. Primping makes everyone feel better, right? In light of recent events, I would just have to do the job myself. I've done it numerous times in the past, and never ONCE have I had a coloring mishap....until now. Red roots, black ends. I was almost pushed over the edge. I fought the tears with a vengeance. "Today will be a good day!" Maybe I was being dramatic, maybe it's not so bad. Well, my fears were confirmed after school!

My spirited Kess, "Mom, I like your hair."

Me, hopeful, "Really?"

Kess, "Yeah, it is so spunky! You're like a rock star mom! I would totally do my hair like that if I could."

Not exactly the look I was going for, "Mmmm...yeah, thanks, Kess."

I look over at Rhiannon who's eyebrows are raised and a look of disdain paints her face.

"I don't like it. "

"Yeah, I know. It's black and red isn't it?

"Yes." She says.

Enough said.

After school we also went to the library. I don't know what it is about the Bentonville library, but I NEVER have a good experience there. EVER. Of course my account was expired, and of course I had a late fee, and OF COURSE I was helped by some tacky little old woman with tightly permed hair and large amounts of exposed cleavage.

"Ummm....let's see, is all of your information still correct?"

"Yes."

"Okay," she then pulls my name up on the computer and glances at the screen, then at me, then back at the screen and says, "Ew. Well you must have been really tired when we took your picture before and you had much longer hair."

What the HELL? Excuse me while I go climb back into my hole. I'll see you guys in a few days.

5 comments:

banananutmeg said...

LAME! Bad hair makes bad days SO MUCH worse. I can't wait to see it tonight when you drop off the girls for YW.

The only thing that gets me through days like that is a major cleaning spree. Something about the finished result brings me out of my funk. That and carbs.

Sarah said...

how about we dig a hole and throw that biotch into it? If I were there with you - I would have fought for your honor and said, "Ew. The last time we saw you - you still had that tacky perm....are you trying to distract us by exposing your sandbag boobies? Cuz it's not working. Your condescending attitude isn't distracting us either, you beast of a poodle."

Wear your hair proud....it's your face that makes you beautiful, anyway. Don't go back to bed....give the world the finger and refuse to owned by these estrogen delusions.

I love you....red and black hair and all.

Amy said...

oh my gosh..i would have made
some comment back about her in-appropriate dress habits. You always look cute Courney, so I'm sure your hair looks stylish!

banananutmeg said...

I played detective tonight and asked your daughters how you are holding up. Kess' respone, "she's great". Rhiannon's, "yeah. it's pretty bad"
Now I'm dying to see it! I might be calling you tomorrow morning while Reese is in preschool. If you don't answer, does that mean I need to come pull you out of bed? I'll do it, you know.

Sylvia said...

A friend and I have simultaneous PMS and thus had our own conversation Wednesday about feeling wretchéd in every possible way. And then I read your post - I can completely sympathize with both schizo hormones and hair color tragedies! (I once colored the remains of my stripped-out hair purple; a few months later I had to miss a temple shift because I turned my hair black with bright orange roots [hey! We could be twins!] earlier that afternoon.) Soldier on* - things will get better!

(And I think I need to be friends with Sarah of the "sandbag boobies" comment. Brilliance. Sheer brilliance.)

*BTW, soldiering on sometimes consists of curling up with ice cream and/or hot chocolate, fuzzy slippers, and Steel Magnolias.