Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Drum roll please....

I've kind of had a theme going this year. Starting this blog has been a part of that theme. You know..you remember, right...the whole "Just who IS Courtney? And what exactly does she like?" Well, I finally found something I like. It's actually something I've ALWAYS liked, but never really paid much attention to it. I just assumed I couldn't do it. I'm taking a cake decorating class from the sweetest little old lady at Hobby Lobby. Here is my debut cake.
Now, I learned a few things from this cake. First of all...Pilsbury cake mixes are far too moist and just fall apart. Second that I really do demand perfection...that can be a very UGLY characteristic. BUT I learned to accept imperfection, too. You see, I started making this cake...and in my unrealistic self conversation I had already decided exactly how PERFECT my first cake was going to be. Then I started icing it....oooohh...it was bad, very bad. I was angry and mean and cranky. Ask Sarah, she called right in the middle of my tantrum. Just as I was about to throw the entire thing away she kindly reminded me that this WAS my first cake, and what would it hurt to actually finish it. Reluctantly I did. And I'm so glad I did, because it's important for me to be proud of it despite it's many...many imperfections. I pretty much need to carry this concept over into other areas of my life. I fear the type of example I'm setting for my children. We can never aim to be perfect in this life. An accepting attitude is far more peaceful to live with.

Here is my second cake that I had to finish in class on Monday. It too is full of imperfections...but I suppose if I had really mastered this "I'm not good enough" attitude, I probably would've just said, "Here's my lovely second cake that I'm so proud of..." So, HERE is my second cake, that I'm so proud of. I do love the little purple flowers on the bottom.
I start Course 2 on Monday. I'm very excited and loving the class. And if you'd like to check out some cakes with humor go here.
(Be sure and check out the fan favorites on the right side) Maybe I'll be famous someday and find one of my cakes on her blog. Hey, what can I say, I've gotta dream big!

8 comments:

banananutmeg said...

My birthday is April 30th and I want a chocolate My Little Pony Cake please.

Seriously...get over it...you are SO good at this! Really. They are very good. I buy cakes. I don't even attempt. you rock!

Amy said...

courtney, those are beautiful cakes!
Beleive me, I've taught some classes and thought people were using thier feet to hold the piping bags, they looked so bad...lol
Great job!

Sarah said...

So proud of you and your new found talent.....you are great at everything you try - and Kudos for being willing to try. I stepped away from the entire "artistic" field when I got fired from the elementary school carnival that I was a face painter at. FIRED. And I was volunteering. If I made a rainbow cake it would NOT look like that....and you can be sure that if I made Meg a pony cake - it would look like a dinosaur crapping a tail. So proud of you! Love you!

Martindale News said...

Wow I am impressed. Love them both but my fav is 32... I like purple! Very nice, such a talent. You go girl. I want to see more too.

Martindale News said...

Sorry meant #2 but I do want to see cake 32 when you do that one to! Senior moment there

Emily Larkin said...

Courtney the cakes are lovely. Maybe you could give the relief society some pointers. A bit of a warning, my mom took all these classes when I was 9 and we had so much cake all the time that I didn't want a birthday cake again until I hit my twenties.

Team Routt said...

Wow. Do I put in my request now or later? My b-day is coming soon and I love chocolate and chocolate (with a little more chocolate). They look great!

~ Roxanne said...

I hope you don't mind but I peaked too!

Way to go on mastering new things :o}