Saturday, August 21, 2010

A New Year

It seems strange to me that January is officially “The New Year”, because mid-August actually feels more like A New Year.  Thursday marked the day that summer ended and a new school year began.  For most of the summer you guys would not even let me talk about school.  You didn’t want to know when it was going to start.  You didn’t want to know how many days of freedom you had left.  We even waited until just a few days ago to buy your school supplies. 

Once the supplies were in hand and we were headed to Open House, I think everyone finally accepted that school was coming whether we liked it or not.  And I think, finally, there was a tinge of excitement in the air.

Thursday morning Dad took Colin and Connor to school…at 7:00, mind you…THAT’S SOOOO early!

102_2657Connor started the second grade this year.  His teacher is Mrs. Welch.  He’s so excited and absolutely LOVES her!  This is the first year that you get to have class upstairs.  You are so big and I’m so proud of you!

102_2659Colin is in the fourth grade.  His teacher is Mr. Brew.  Colin is so excited to have such a “cool” and “fun” teacher.  He also gets to be the oldest in the school AND switch classes for different subjects.  You’re growing so fast Colin.

102_2661

After sending the boys off to school, the girls and I took our time, as we so often do, and finished the preparations for their first day.

102_2666 Kess is starting the eighth grade at Lincoln Jr. High.  I’m not sure she’s actually excited about going back, but I know how much she loves her friends at school.  She gets to take really cool classes this year too, like Career Orientation (where she hopes to job shadow a zookeeper), and she’s also taking Pre-AP classes for the first time. 

102_2664Rhiannon is also starting the eighth grade and not quite excited about school either.  However, she too has great classes this year.  This semester she’s taking Intro to Communication Arts.  I think she’s going to like it a lot.  She is also taking her first Pre-AP classes.

102_2667  It’s seems like yesterday that we made the decision to start public school.  The first day of Fifth grade must’ve been so scary.  But you were so brave and you have done SO well.  You’ve worked so hard and developed and grown into beautiful young women.  I’m so proud of you guys!

I thought about you guys all day, and couldn’t wait to pick you up in the afternoon.  Everyone had such a great day.  Connor was so excited about the treasure box and the scoops of popcorn his class could earn.  Colin was excited that he didn’t have any homework and got to do activities all day long.  Rhiannon was excited that she has lunch with most of her friends, but sad that Kess has a different lunch period.  Kess was brimming with excitement that her favorite teacher, Mrs. Lovegood,  is her Seminar teacher.

After dinner we dined on a special treat that I made for you while you were at school.

102_2674

Hehehe!  Though I won’t be on Ace of Cakes anytime soon, this cake was full of love and laughter.  I had a great time making it and knew you guys would think it was pretty funny.  And as an added bonus, it actually tasted pretty good too!

So with a new year beginning I’m so excited to see what each of you will accomplish this year.  I’m excited to be there by your side each step of the way.  I’m looking forward to setting and accomplishing goals of my own too.  I love each of you and I love being your mom.

No comments: